When you go traveling, there are many, many things that you need to keep in mind when picking out a suitcase that will be able to meet all of you needs. Between quality spinner wheels, lots of storage space, a comfortable handle, a stylish design, and so much more, the number of things that you need to keep in mind is quite astounding. You wouldn’t think something as simple as a suitcase would require so much thought and planning, but it really does!
And, with so many things to choose from, each and every person will have their own unique set of personal taste and preference when it comes to deciding which of these features will be the best for them. Some folks would rather have a great-looking suitcase, while others would prefer to have one that makes durability a high priority. Similarly, other people place the most importance on whether or not the handle is comfortable. The priorities for these features will vary from person to person, as no two people are exactly alike.
In the case of the American Tourister Ilite Xtreme, this particular piece of luggage is built for those people who value good looks, a lightweight design, and lots of storage space above all else.
When you’re traveling, all three of these things play a pretty big factor in your journey. A stylish design will help your bag stick out among the crowd, a lightweight construction will make the bag extra comfortable to lug around with you, and the superb storage space will allow you to fit all of your clothes and belongings for even the lengthiest of trips.
The American Tourister Ilite Xtreme Spinner 25 sets out to nail all three of these areas, but does it succeed?
Although they haven’t been in the luggage game for quite as long as Samsonite, American Tourister is still one of the most recognizable brands when it comes to travel gear and luggage. The company was initially founded back in 1933 with the intention of creating well-made luggage that was affordable for everyone.
Throughout the years, American Tourister has stayed tried and true to those initial values. The company prides itself on making products that are stylish, fun, well-made, and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. It’s a business model that’s worked for over 80 years, and it’s one we don’t see breaking down any time soon.
- If you’re someone who does a lot of traveling where you’re out and about for more than a week or so at once, you know the importance of being able to pack a large amount of clothes and such with you at once. Unfortunately, the number of suitcases that are capable of meeting this need are few and far between. Thankfully, this is an area where the Ilite Xtreme has you covered. The interior is fully lined with very spacious packing areas, and even has the ability to expand for even further room for storing all of your personal items.
- When you have a great deal of items packed into your suitcase, being able to have comfortable and convenient ways to carry it is just as important. With American Tourister’s Ilite Xtreme, the company has done their homework here as well. Included are not only carry handles on the top and side of the suitcase, but also a pull handle that features a corrugated shape.
- In an effort to keep things as lightweight as possible, American Tourister decided to construct the Ilite Xtreme out of 100% polyester. This, combined with the suitcase’s height of 10-inches and width of 18-inches, the Ilite Xtreme becomes one of the best options on the market if a lightweight nature is something of great importance to you.
- This is a spinner suitcase after all, so of course we’ve got 4 wheels on the bottom that allow the Ilite Xtreme to be incredibly portable. The wheels that are being used here a multi-directional in their design, and this allows them to be incredible mobile. Top it off with a brand new wheel and housing design, and we’re looking at some pretty sophisticated spinners.
- One of the biggest pros for the American Tourister Ilite Xtreme is actually something we mentioned in both the Introduction and Features section – space! When we say that the Ilite Xtreme has a load of storage space in its interior, we aren’t joking around. Between the packing area in the main compartment, the expandable storage space, and numerous pockets found all along this piece of luggage, it’s very possible to pack for two people in this single suitcase. That may seem like a wild claim, but the Ilite Xtreme makes that very possible.
- When we look at suitcases, it often seems like the vast majority of people opt for ones that are big, black hunks of boring. Black may be one of the most popular colors when it comes to suitcases, but there’s no denying how incredibly boring the color has become. American Tourister was very aware of this issue when they made the Ilite Xtreme, so they decided to include a heap of colors and designs to choose form. Whether you opt for Cherry, Moroccan Blue, Navy Floral, or Purple Dot, you’re sure to find a wild and expressive color that will fit your exact taste.
- Another big pro for the Ilite Xtreme is its build quality. Although the suitcase is incredibly lightweight for its design, it still feels very sturdy and well-built. When we talk about lightweight suitcases, there’s always the fear that it will end up feeling cheap and poorly-made. Thankfully, this is not the case for the Ilite Xtreme.
- One issue that appears to be affecting the American Tourister Ilite Xtreme is the suitcase’s zipper. A number of owners of the suitcases have reported that the zippers are prone to breaking off after a few times of use, and this is never something we like to see – despite it seeming to be an area of concern more often that it should be.
- If you’re planning on doing a lot of travel through airlines, this may not be the best pick for you. Some folks have claimed that, after taking this thing through the airline on a trip, the edges appeared to fray rather easily. As a result, this will more than likely be a bit of luggage that will be your best companion for car and train travels.
The American Tourister Ilite Xtreme is a great choice for those people who need as much storage space as they can possibly get with their luggage. The Ilite Xtreme excels in this department by offering ample interior storage, along with plenty of outside pockets and expandable space to pack as many clothes as you could possibly want!
This, in addition to the suitcase’s vibrant color options and durable, lightweight build make for a pretty nice package.
However, if you’re someone who does a lot of airline travel, this may not be the best bet for you. Some owners have reported that the edges tend to fray when going through flights, so if you’re someone who does a lot of travel through airlines, you may want to look elsewhere. The issue with the zippers seems to be a quality control issue, and something that has only affected a minority of owners. However, it is still something that’s worth keeping in mind when making your purchasing decision.
With all of that said though, the price of the American Tourister Ilite Xtreme truly does make up for any of the luggage’s shortcomings.
In case you feel that this product doesn’t meet your expectations, please take a look at other options in our full suitcases guide.