When it comes time to look at luggage and suitcases to buy, there’s a pretty common theme that seems to apply to most of these products – you get what you pay for. This is a term that’s thrown around quite a lot in the sales world, and it essentially translates to this. If you pay a small amount of money, you’re going to get a product that doesn’t perform well. If you pony up a larger amount of cash, you’re going to get a product that’s worth your dollars.
This is fine and dandy, but what about if you’re on a bit of a budget and can’t afford to spend a great deal of money on your next item of luggage? While you certainly want to spend as little as possible, you also don’t want to get an item that’s going to be a heap of garbage. Unfortunately, in the world of luggage and travel gear, this can prove to be a bit of a challenge. There are certainly many options out there that don’t cost a lot of money, but the actual product itself is often extremely underwhelming and not well-built at all. This proves to be a big issue if you have some traveling you need to do, but can’t afford to spend close to $200. If this happens to be the case for you, what are your options? While there’s certainly no shortage of cheap luggage, there’s a noticeable shortage of affordable luggage that’s made-well. However, one of the few items that fits nicely in this category is that of the Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner 28.
Before we get into the actual suitcase itself, it’s worth spending a second to go over Samsonite as a whole. The company has been making suitcases and other travel products since 1910, meaning that these folks have been in this business for well over 100 years. During all that time, Samsonite has learned how to refine and craft truly exquisite and masterful products. The company prides itself not only on creating durable and long-lasting products, but also ones that provide you with a sense of confidence. Samsonite knows that traveling is a big part of many people’s lives, and the company’s goal is to provide high-end, durable, confident, and innovative products to people that need to be ready to o at a moment’s notice.
- As we mentioned in the Brand Overview, one of Samsonite’s biggest goals with all of their products is to ensure that they are among some of the most durable out there. That passion and dedication shines through incredibly strong with Samsonite’s Omni PC line. The company’s Omni PC line of suitcases are designed to be some of the most durable and reliable on the market. The scratch-resistant texture and 100% polycarbonate construction not only keep the Omni PC looking great after a number of trips, but also helps to ensure that it stays as lightweight as possible.
- As with any spinner type of suitcase, having reliable wheels is an incredibly important factor to take into consideration. With the Omni PC, Samsonite has included Spinner Wheels that have the ability to spin 360 degrees. The versatility of the wheels mean that the Omni PC should move effortlessly over any kind of surface it encounters.
- For added security, Samsonite’s TSA lock that’s mounted on the side of the Omni PC will help give you an extra dose of peace of mind. And, since it’s approved by the TSA, you won’t have to worry about it causing you issues when you go through various security checks at the airport.
- Moving to the inside of the suitcase, the interior features that of a full zip and cross-strap design. These two features come together to allow for ultimate organization of all your clothes and other personal belongings, and it proves to be a real convenience when packing a lot of things to bring along with you.
- Often times with suitcase that advertise extreme durability, they fail to meet the high expectations that their creator set for them. However, in the case of the Samsonite Omni PC, that doesn’t seem to be an issue whatsoever. Numerous owners of the Omni PC have reported that the suitcase holds up incredibly well even after numerous trips and flights – from both a cosmetic and functionality standpoint.
- Along with the overall durable nature of the Omni PC, the hard shell found on the outside does an excellent job at protecting more valuable goods that are stored away inside of your suitcase. And, if for some reason your suitcase gets left out in the rain, the harder shell does a better job at keeping your stored goods dryer than those with a softer outside.
- The Omni PC isn’t a small bit of luggage by any stretch of the imagination, but that’s for a good reason. Because of the larger size, you’re able to store a greater deal of clothes and other items of yours. If you’re looking to pack in everything you own and the kitchen sink, the Omni PC is one of your best bets.
- Although the handle on the Omni PC doesn’t feature any special texturing or contouring, it’s still reported to be incredibly well-built. The handle here is sturdy, reliable, and won’t break on you even after a hundred trips.
- If you’re looking for a suitcase that’s small and compact, the Omni PC is not going to be the suitcase for you. It’s a very large product with a height of 62.5-inches, so if you don’t open the expansion area that Samsonite has included, you’ll more than likely just barely make the average maximum height of 62-inches when traveling on airlines.
- Along with being a bit tall, the Omni PC also isn’t the lightest suitcase that we’ve ever encountered. It weighs in at about 10.45 pounds, and after you get all of your belongings packed into it, it’ll likely weight just a little less than 40-pounds total. Most domestic flights in the US have a max weight limit of 50-pounds, so unless you’re packing an absurd amount of items – which you very well may want to do with all of the storage space – it should fit fine within these restrictions.
- While the hard shell casing does a good job at keeping your items dry and secure, some people have complained that it gives the outside of the Omni PC a bit of a cheap feeling. This is going to be more of a personal preference thing, but we still thought that it was an area worth mentioning.
When you do a lot of travel, having to baby your suitcase can be a real pain in the rear. While there are plenty of suitcases out there that pride themselves on being some of the most stylish out there, the durability department often takes a bit of a beating. And, if you’re someone who wants to be able to run around with their luggage without having to worry about its well-being, this can be a big downside.
The Samsonite Omni PC is one of the best suitcases that you can find if durability and security are two of your top priorities.
The hard outer shell and polycarbonate construction create for a design that not only protect all of your valuables, but will also keep your luggage looking good even after hundreds of trips. Additionally, Additionally, the spacious interior will allow you to haul practically anything you have around your house – and then some!
The biggest downside for the Samsonite Omni PC is its rather large size and heavy design. The suitcase isn’t made to be small, and it could prove to be rather unwieldly for many people. Again, the suitcase wasn’t made to be compact, but we still want to make sure you’re aware of just how large this thing actually is. It is one of the best values you’ll find for a durable, large piece of luggage.
In case you feel that this product doesn’t meet your expectations, please take a look at other options in our full suitcases guide.