When it comes to the world of luggage, the market for these products is much more expansive and diverse than one might initially think. Sure, we have different brands and styles that look different from one another, but the differences go much deeper than the look or brand of the luggage that’s in question. Although it might be difficult for an untrained eye to see, each item of luggage comes with its own unique sets of characteristics, features, and more. Whether it be because of a standout feature, design language, or something else, each suitcase is made differently in its own right to help it be unique from the rest of the crowd.
Yet, what a crowd that is. The world of luggage and suitcases is constantly expanding, and while this is a good thing for consumer choice, it also means that it is continually becoming more and more difficult for single pieces of luggage to stick out among the vast field of competition that they now face. So, with so many competitors in the market, what can these products do to help them be truly unique from the rest?
In the case of the Silhouette Sphere 2, Samsonite has tackled and issue that effects nearly every traveler – the wheels of a spinner type of luggage. Spinner suitcases have been around for a healthy amount of time, the wheels of these suitcases seems to have taken a bit of a backseat to the rest of the product. We’ve gotten fancier designs, more comfortable handles, and a more spacious area inside the actual suitcase. However, the actual wheels themselves have seen a lackluster amount of innovation.
However, that changes with the Silhouette Sphere 2. Samsonite has done some incredible engineering to revolutionize what we think of when it comes to the wheels of our spinner suitcases. That may seem like a big claim to make, but it’s one that’s worthy of all this talking up. Without any further ado, let’s take a closer look at just what it is we’re talking about.
Samsonite has been in the suitcase and luggage industry, and the company’s age truly does shine through with their expertise, attention to detail, and extremely well-made products that they’re known for delivering to consumers. Samsonite is all about creating products that are iconic, durable, and in some cases, innovative. From what we can tell, the Silhouette Sphere 2 is a perfect example of all these traits.
- The standout feature for the Silhouette Sphere 2 is undoubtedly the suitcase’s brand new Split Spherical Wheels. Why are these such a big deal? Each half of the wheels found on the Sphere 2 have the ability to move completely independent in the same direction, or even in the opposite direction. This revolutionary design allows the Sphere 2 to comfortable roll over any surface imaginable, no matter how smooth or uneven they may be. The control and ease of use that these wheels bring to the Sphere 2 is unlike anything we’ve ever seen, and is truly the flagship feature for this bit of luggage.
- In an effort to bring comfort to the handle as well, Samsonite has coated it with a textured TPR material, that’s also gel-infused, to create for an extremely comfortable feel when held in the hand.
- Durability is one of the key mantras of Samsonite, and that truly shines through with the durability features that have been crammed into the Sphere 2. This particular suitcase features SamGuard Protection – a combination of a water-resistant coating and an incredibly rugged tri-core nylon fabric to keep things lasting for a good long while.
- Following the footsteps of these durability features, the Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 also features protector guards on all of the corners. These guards are both textured and rubberized, and will help keep your luggage looking neat and spiffy even against the nastiest of bumps.
- In an effort to keep all of your belongings organized and clean, Samsonite has utilized the interiors of the Sphere 2 to be fully-featured with modesty pockets, mesh, and WetPak technology.
- If you’re someone who does a large amount of traveling and needs to be able to pack as much as possible, the Sphere 2’s expandable case will help you fit in even more clothes than you ever through possible.
- One of the most notable pros for the Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 is also one the feature that stands out the most – the Split Spherical Wheels. It’s rarer and rarer that we see true innovation come through in the world of luggage and suitcase. When it does, we’re met with feelings of both excitement and hesitation. Thankfully, in the case of Samsonite’s Split Spherical Wheels, the company has hit a home run. The wheels have been proven to meet and beat the claims that the company is making for them, and that’s something we’re always thrilled to see.
- Another win for the Sphere 2 comes in the durability department. Even when traveling across the country, Samsonite’s Sphere 2 appears to hold up incredibly well through even the most rigorous traveling conditions.
- If you’re someone who packs a large number of clothes whenever you take your suitcase with you, the ample number of compartments and storage space that’s found inside is sure to fit all of your needs.
- To top all of these off, the Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 is also incredibly lightweight and easy to haul around. Although the weight will certainly increase if you pack it to the brim with clothes, by nature this is a very lightweight suitcase. That make not seem like a huge deal right off the bat, but it makes for a huge difference if you’re hauling this around with you through numerous airports.
- An area that seems to have effected a few owners of the Sphere 2 is a quality control issue that Samsonite had with the zippers that are used on this particular piece of luggage. Some customers have reported that the zippers on here came right off the suitcase after just a few initial times of use. Although the effected number of customers does seem to be in the minority, this is still something worth keeping in mind.
- While the Split Spherical Wheels are certainly some of the best out there for rolling over smooth and uneven surfaces, the durability of these does seem to have taken a bit of hit. Although this hasn’t affected the majority of Sphere 2 owners, a number of people have reported that the rubber on the wheels has a tendency to separate from the wheel itself after just a few months of use. While we love to see innovation, we aren’t necessarily fans when it comes at the cost of durability.
Samsonite’s Silhouette Sphere 2 is an incredibly solid piece of suitcase that very much deserves a spot in your collection. Innovation is a rare thing to come by in this field, so to see the company’s Split Spherical Wheels pay off – for the most part – is a real treat.
If you’re someone who does a lot of walking between different airports and gates, the combination of these wheels, textured handle, and lightweight design should prove to be the perfect fit for you.
The only real areas of concern come with some quality control issues that seem to have been an issue for a number of customers. After reading through reviews on Amazon, we noticed that some folks have reported issues with both the zippers and wheels not being nearly as durable as they should be. This is a problem that seems to have only affected a handful of customers, but we still feel that it’s worth mentioning. However, as a whole, the Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2 is a truly impressive contender in the world of high-end luggage. And, for a price tag of just under $200, the value that you’re getting is just as impressive.
In case you feel that this product doesn’t meet your expectations, please take a look at other options in our full suitcases guide.